[governance] IPv4 allocation (US Gov version)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:27:47 EDT 2005

Hi Louis,

I'll bite.

On 9/1/05, Louis Pouzin <pouzin at well.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The US Gov has produced comments on the WGIG report:
> http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/pc3/contributions/co35.pdf
>
> An excerpt from this document:
>
> >For example, as of June 2005, cumulative IPv4 address allocations had the
> >following geographical breakdown - 33% to the Asia Pacific Region, 32% to
> >North America, 31% to Europe, 3% to South America and 1% to Africa.

I don't know the methodolgy they used, so I can't say fair or foul.

> IPv4 allocations are available as a plain text table of 256 entries at:
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
> (last updated 30 June 2005)

Yes, and when the filed next to the specific /8 says "Various
Registries"   This address space seems to be pre-RIR space
(May 93).

Did you count those or exclude them?  It amounts to 704 Million IP addresses.

> The allocation breakdown I get is:
>
> 71.7%  North America (ARIN + USA orgs)

ARIN up until recently allocated and assigned resources to all of
Latin/South America/Carib and Africa south of the Equator.

> 12.7%  Europe (RIPE + Eur orgs)

Up until quite recently the RIPE NCC allocated and assigned resources
to all of Africa nouth of the Equator.

Perhaps this is where your calculations differ.

What methodology did you use?

>  9.8%  Asia Pacific (APNIC + Jap org)
>  2.3%  South America (LACNIC)
>  0.6%  Africa (AFRINIC)
>  2.9%  Miscellaneous (international)
>
> Anyone to give it a try ?

The NRO does a report at each of their meetings about this,

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-50/presentations/ripe50-plenary-wed-nro-stats.pdf

is the latest I am aware of. The first slide has some of the info you seek.

Accurate counting of which IPs are used where is very difficult, as
(for example) IPs that RIPE NCC gives to a European satellitte
provider are used to provide connectivity (or are further assigned)
here in Africa.  These are then counted in your (and the US) numbers
as European addresses when in fact they are used in Africa.

--
Cheers,

McTim
nic-hdl:      TMCG