[governance] oversight

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun Oct 16 08:56:24 EDT 2005

________________________________

Von: governance-bounces at lists.cpsr.org im Auftrag von Vittorio Bertola
Gesendet: So 16.10.2005 14:43
An: Lee McKnight
Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Betreff: Re: [governance] oversight

Lee McKnight
>I agree that would be dangerous and unacceptable.  A multistakeholder-led and balanced framework convention on the other hand, would be a whole new beast.

Vittorio:
How exactly you do envisage such convention to work, from a legal /
formal standpoint? Do you imagine it as a document (a mixture between a
treaty and a contract) signed by governments as well as by the private
sector and civil society? And if all governments can sign it, how could
the "private sector" and "civil society" do so? Do you imagine that all
private companies and all NGOs (and perhaps also individuals) that are
involved with the Internet would sign it as well? Otherwise, how would
you make it binding to stakeholders that did not sign it? (Because I
think that a "convention" is something formally binding, not just an
open declaration of principles.)

Wolfgang

The gTLD MoU of the IAHC was signed both by governmental and non-governmental entities. Pekka tarjanne, Secretary General of the ITU, labeld this as a "turning point in internaitonal law". But this was 1997 :-(((.

I am not necessarily against this idea, but I don't see how it could
work in practice.

Thanks,