[governance] oversight

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Oct 13 04:11:34 EDT 2005

It is important to define exactly what "oversight" means. It is a difference if we speak about "Internet Oversight", "ICANN 0versight" or the "Authorization Function for Publication of Zone Files in the Root".

In the WGIG we more or less agreed that the majority of the "Internet Governance Issues" ar non-ICANN issues and need governmental involvement or even governmental leadership (Cybercrime) but we also agreed that while for each issue of the TOP 16 List we need probably a specific governance model, the basic governance principle should be multistakeholderism. The idea, to create "Civil Society" (and private sector) Advisory Committees" for issues like Spam, eCommerce or interconnection rates makes a lot of sense.

With regard to the ICANN issues- three of the top 16 list - I follow largely what Jeanette has said. If the GAC brings its house in order, if the GAC clarifies its status and procedures (including membership/any idea about Taiwan?) and re-arranges its relationship with the ICANN Board (partly inspired by the EU proposal), this could work, but it depends where the borderline between "the level of principle" and the "day to day operation" is and how ther procedures for the interaction among the Board and the GAC are defined in detail.

With regard to the authorization function, there shoiuld be no governmental involvment, it should be full privatization with a normal external audit. The conditions here are a stable contractual relationship between ICANN, the TLD managers and the root server operators and a full and transparent multistakeholder procedure within ICANN, including a clear and workable review process which guarantess the stability and security of the DNS.

Best

wolfgang

As I said in geneva severel times, my position is

full privatisation-----Original Message-----