[governance] news of new IANA staff

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Mon Oct 10 07:45:54 EDT 2005

Veni Markovski wrote:
> Excuse me, Stephane, but...
>
> At 10:02 10-10-05  +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
>>>ICANN's very fortunate to get them, they'll do much to improve
>>>IANA/ICANN's credibility with the tech community & DNS industry.
>>
>>Certainly not. ICANN staff has always be technically competent (and
>>ICANN's job does not involve complicated stuff). But the real problem
>>is political. No recruitment of experts will help.
>

> What is this political problem which they can't solve by their work?
>
> veni

Censoring

For china and islamic countries you have to censor human rights and
liberty.

For the united states of america you have to censor sex.

For germany you have to censor information about censoring

For business to flourrish you cannot allow censoring at all.

For the internet to work as designed you cannot afford censoring
at all.

This is not a technical problem - it is purely political.
But as soon as polititians have their saying in this it
does create technical problems we cannot even think of today.

For example:

Regierungspraesident Buessow, a local dictator in germany in
the city of duesseldorf, thought it might be a good idea to
have a site located in the USA censored because he felt this
site was illegal in germany. He ordered to DNS records to be
faked. Now he was the owner and responsible for a site that
was illegal in germany. We should have sent him to jail to
prevent further dammage.

He has stolen the ownership of an internet site. He has
stolen email sent to this site. He has broken the law in a
lot of points. But as a polititian he is imune to law.

Some people complained he was hiding information that could
have helped suing those people who maintained the forbidden
site in the first place.

How can this be soved by a lot of work?

It is not a technical problem. It involves different laws
in different countries.

For free speech that sometimes is a law in the USA they
will never take this site offline.

For his "ethical" feeling the polititian will never allow
this site to be visible in germany.

Solve it!  :)

Peter and Karin Dambier

--