[governance] Statement made in Plenary

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Mon Oct 3 08:41:42 EDT 2005

I agree.
Once things start to get politicised, there lies the problem. I don't
think it's necessarily ICANN, or the US, but all Governments can  (and
sometimes do) apply local law to companies to further their political
agendas.
Maybe Avri's proposal may work here, as long as the agreement is well
negotiated.
Jacqueline

On 10/2/05, Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote:
> At 14:20 02-10-2005 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> >I also remember the story of the biggest Macedonian ISP losing their
> >customers' domains as the American registrar who they were using started
> >refusing credit cards from Balkan countries to reduce fraud risks (in
> >practice, assuming that anyone attempting to pay with a credit card from
> >Balkans is likely to be a fraudster).
>
> Actually, Vittorio, if you remember, I made an investigation in that
> case, and we've found out exactly what was happening, there were
> proposal for solution of the problem, but the Macedonian ISP never
> responded to the dozen of messages I personally sent them.
> I don't think anything would have been different, if ICANN was
> working under different law.
> I see here mixture of different cases, and because some of them are
> not relevant to what you discuss, you're losing ground for your proper cause.
> The decision of the registar is purely a business one; it's the task
> of the Macedonians to find a way to work with that, and I can give
> you several such solutions.
>
> best,
> veni

Jacqueline Morris