[governance] Need Help - History of Internet Governance

laina at getit-multimedia.com laina at getit-multimedia.com
Fri Oct 7 12:49:32 EDT 2005

Ronda, very interesting reading indeed your articles. Just curious why you did not describe the process from 1996 to 1998 before ICANN was formed i.e. from the Postel draft, IAHC, CORE, the IFWP process, and the 4 models proposed, etc. I believe the domain handbook and the cookl report does describe this process as well. It was the early days when there was genuine interest from the US to "internationalise" Internet Governance to an "international not-for-profit organisation". That whole process and what IRa Magaziner did before he caved in to political and business interests, is very similar to what we are going through now (except now it is driven by the others countries whilst the later was driven by the US gov).

Just thought this would be also an important part of history to be remembered as well in any DVD or otherwise materials to help put things in some perspective of how ICANN started out broke.

Regards,
Laina