[governance] news of new IANA staff

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Mon Oct 10 07:17:01 EDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, McTim wrote:

> On 10/10/05, Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote:
>
>>> ICANN's job does not involve complicated stuff). But the real problem
>>> is political. No recruitment of experts will help.
>>
>> What is this political problem which they can't solve by their work?
>
> It seems to me that the "political problem" is in convincing
> governments to keep their hands off the network administration.

But ICANN itself is political. It is putting the politics inside,
rather than shielding the network administrators.

If you look at Auerbach's article, he notes some of the ways that
ICANN has been functioning in a way that is political. See for example:

"(In fact there is a credible body of evidence to suggest that ICANN
delays certain clerical tasks on behalf of ccTLDs for months on end in an
effort to coerce ccTLDs to sign contracts with ICANN.)"
                      http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000195.html

IANA handled problems in general, as for example, with regard to the
country code administrators.

IANA wasn't just a clerical operation.  I don't quite understand
Auerbach's saying it was. There were problems of different sorts that
needed to be solved. Some IANA could solve - via encouraging discussion
of the problems. Others they couldn't solve.

I would agree that ICANN was created for political reasons, not to solve
the problems that IANA couldn't solve.

There is a need for governments to understand that they need to shield
technical and research functions for the Internet.

ICANN did the opposite.

Also, though there was the need to increase communication to solve
problems that developed with regard to IANA.

ICANN did the opposite.

The failure to identity the problem with IANA in the mid 1990's has
led to the more serious problem of ICANN today.

The root servers and other techical functions need to be shielded,
need a means to help with communication when things get problemmatic,
and need some non commercial entity that supports their coordination
and protects them from political and commercial pressures.

Ronda