[governance] Demystifying the debate

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Tue Oct 11 09:05:07 EDT 2005

Hi Laina,

I believe Paul's reply suggested a reasonable next step, which is that
each of the rootops could develop and post their own brief policy
statement.  These could then be compiled and shared with concerned
parties, ideally before Tunis.

To get this started, I might suggest that Stephane, Norbert, and Avri
and others with concerns take a crack at drafting text that would
reassure them at least as far as the rootops going nuclear. Of course
rootops would be free to adopt, adapt, or ignore your text - have fun! :
)

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> "Laina Raveendran Greene" <laina at getit.org> 10/10/05 9:12 PM >>>

Thanks Lee. I totally agree.

The plenary list (although I know this list is overwhelming for many)
for
example, could be used to disseminate info (especially a draft
statement
from the roottops are you suggested= from Paul and his team). Besides
this
list then, we need to find a way to get it to CS, Private sector and
governments and ensure it is read and understood.

Those of us who have friendly governments who do listen to us, and
whose
governments are very involved in the government debates, we should aim
give them this material to them so they may use this to help possibly
demystify and break some deadlocks and ensure meaningful discussions.
Worth
a try. I also recall speaking with the rapporteur of the PrepCom (from
Greece) who was very intrigued about some of some facts I shared with
him
about these issues, and he was very keen to help demystify any rumours
amongst the gov to focus debates on something more meanigful. I would
try
reaching out to him too.

Personally, I think this should have been done a long time ago whilst
the IG
debates were going on or way before it even started. But it appears
that CS
was partly responsible for perpetuating some of this "emotive"
perspectives
as well, as I noted in the IG caucus update to CS during the
orientation
session and things said on this list.

Regards,
Laina