[governance] Need Help - History of Internet Governance

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Oct 5 12:02:06 EDT 2005

Name/number translation begins in computer networks before Arpanet.
Electronic telephonre switching does all kinds of mapping before that.
Toll-free telephone numbers are actually "names" that are mapped to
"real" telephone numbers.
One could probably find mapping of names to addresses long before that.
Do you want to confine your example to the Internet or not? TCP/IP
(Internet protocol) wasn't specified officially until 1981. Hosts.txt
was doing the mapping at first, DNS starts around 1982. Read "Ruling the
Root" ;-)

>>> "Jovan Kurbalija" <jovank at diplomacy.edu> 10/05/05 9:08 AM >>>
Thank you Stephan. The pointer to RFC 229 is useful. We would like to
show
the moment when names started being translated in numbers. Did
name/number
translation exist from the very beginning of the Arpanet?

LOL for the early examples of XXX! Jovan