[governance] Need Help - History of Internet Governance

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Wed Oct 5 09:21:23 EDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:08:51PM +0200,
 Jovan Kurbalija <jovank at diplomacy.edu> wrote
 a message of 33 lines which said:

> We would like to show the moment when names started being translated
> in numbers.

I was not there at the beginning and I cannot find a RFC which
mentions it. It is probably buried in the memories of the old
timers. RFC 1, in april 1969, has only addresses, no names. RFC 33,
which replaces it in february 1970 also mentions only numeric
addresses (and uses the word "name" apparently as a synonym of
"address").

So, it was somewhere between february 1970 and september 1971.