[governance] ccTLD regulation [WAS Re: Statement madein Plenary]

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Mon Oct 3 13:43:16 EDT 2005

Where did I say give it to the ITU?

And where did I say what exactly governments deserve re their ccTLDs?

I also don't think I said that it shouldn't be multistakeholder.

I did say CS should define the role governments deserve, particularly
in regards to ccTLDs.

So figure out how to circumscribe (the government role) tghtly so they
don't muck things up.  Right now one government has a role, which many
in CS think it doesn't deserve or at least not just by itself.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

Lee McKnight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree with Michael.

Hmm.

> In sum, we should figure out a position that gives governments what
> they legitimately deserve,

Do they?
And what happens when governments find out that what actually matters
are numbers and not names? Would you be wiling to hand them over to the

ITU too?
While I don't mind governments in the position of "shadow hierarchies",

I do mind policy organizations that exclude civil society. We said this

in Geneva again and again: the management of the Internet should be
organized as a multi stakeholder process. I can't see why this wouldn't

apply to ccTLDs.
jeanette

even if they don't actually own their TLD as