[governance] Vixie supports another root administration (fwd)

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:37:02 EDT 2005

>>> Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> 10/10/2005 3:25 PM >>>

MM:
# I understand this distinction quite well, too.  And you are wrong
that
# the result is not two distinct name spaces.  If up-to-date
USG-controlled
# IANA data differs from "stale" IANA data, you have a split root.
Period.
# You know this as well as I.

>if i'm wrong, then how is it that i know it as well as you?

First, I note that you never refuted the argument. No other DNS experts
are backing you up on that, either. Second, to reply to your question, I
would simply ask you not to waste any more of this list's time bickering
with me in that fashion.

>if that's what you think ORSN is doing, then we have a difference of
opinion.
>and since i've talked extensively to ORSN, i feel like your opinion on
this
>could be some kind of self-justificatory weed-seeking.

It's not my opinion we're talking about, it's their web site.
http://european.de.orsn.net/about.php
People can read it for themselves. The most relevant quote is

"This project does not represent an isolation from the "American"
Internet, however, is supposed to limit the influence and control of the
U.S.A substantially."

That statement is pretty self-explanatory. So PLEASE don't waste our
time with another convoluted attempt to "spin" that one in a way that
can be reconciled with your ideology. We all can see what is going on.
If you want to downlplay its significance, the best way is to be quiet
and let it sit there.

>i'm relaxed.  but not because i have your support.  for one thing, the
thing
>you claim to be supporting is different than the thing i know i'm
doing.

I'm less interested in what you are doing, than in what ORSN is doing.
The only interesting thing you did was to support them. If you want to
deny that your support has any political implications in current
controversies surrounding WSIS, OK, consider it duly noted. Hard to take
without a snicker, but duly noted.

--MM