[governance] news of new IANA staff

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Oct 11 09:57:52 EDT 2005

# There is nothing special in the root, it is just a DNS zone among others ...

i don't think so.  a mistake in the apex rrset of the root zone has global
impact.  a mistake in any rrset of the root zone has global impact, for that
matter.  also, the "target value" either for prank, terror, or piracy is high.

but more importantly, nobody else thinks so, so it wouldn't matter what we
thought about this even if we agreed.  the root zone shines with its own
light and it has hypnotized the masses of bureaucrats and technologists who
see it or study it or think about it.

# ..., and requesting a *manual* approbation for just a change of an
# IP address is incredible. (The real motivation, of course, of the US
# government, is to keep control.)

that's anthropomorphic.  USG does not have "motivation."  various people do,
and some political parties do.  USG as a whole just muddles along from one
administration to the next.  in any case if USG had motives and one of those
was to keep control, i predict that the methods it would employ are different
from "making CCtld admins use a fax machine."  just my opinion, mind you.