[governance] Stating an enabling role for governments

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Oct 10 11:46:00 EDT 2005

In spite of the infinite space of the debate and my very finite
capacity to winnow through it, I think I see something essential that
is missing from the CS [position?] on Internet Governance.  I’m
puzzled by a fundamental “use” question that, as far as I can tell,
still isn’t being asked …..

What guarantees will governments provide that the Internet can and
will continue increase the capacity it has given us to make
development choices for ourselves?

It’s certainly not addressed in the final report of WGIG, and I can’t
spot it in any of the CS summary reactions.

The political expectations of governments to “control” the Internet
miss the point of its essential distributive nature.  Business
expectations that effective “control” can be left to market economics
(the US position?) misses the point that sustaining IP is now an
utterly critical dimension of socio-economic development policy. In
an Information Society, the IP networks are essential public goods.
Ensuring access to end-to-end connectivity in those networks is much
more the responsibility of governments than it is of corporations. In
effect, changes to Internet Governance must not impede the
development of the Internet as a commons.

Government policy can enable just as much as it can prohibit.
There’s nothing to prevent CS from expressing an expectation for
governments to play a specific role, one that ensures their
subsequent actions are inclusive, participatory and directed to
enhancing the Internet’s functional capacity and use.  If we state
that the role of governments must be defined  primarily by defending
or increasing the capacity of individuals and communities to make
development choices themselves, doesn’t that point the way to an
acceptable middle ground in Internet Governance, and effective public
policy in the defense of IP?

Garth Graham
Telecommunities Canada