[governance] UK Guardian: EU says internet could fall apart

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 14 08:25:18 EDT 2005

hi george

>The phrase "extremely lightweight" has just lost its meaning in this
>discussion.
>
>I wonder who would define "the list of essential tasks," according to
>this speaker.

well, apart from this speaker defining the list, we have to also..

but, i think there's a chunk of work we have missed here - and that
is monitoring and responding to the western mainstream press..

many of our developing country colleagues are concerned that the
press is successfully propagating the notion that broad civil society
supports the US goverment in the WSIS - which is neither true, nor
helpful in closing the gaps that have emerged in IG between north and
south, and most alarmingly and chillingly in relation to Tunsia and
human rights.

as the loudest voice from Civil society in relation to IG in the
WSIS, i feel the caucus should respond to this somehow..
could we for example write something for our colleague at the economist?

karen