[governance] UK Guardian: EU says internet could fall apart

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Oct 14 08:18:24 EDT 2005

Il giorno ven, 14-10-2005 alle 08:07 -0400, George Sadowsky ha scritto:
> I wonder who would define "the list of essential tasks," according to
> this speaker.

Actually, that list is clearly stated in the EU proposal:

"64. Essential tasks

The new cooperation model should include the development and application
of globally applicable public policy principles and provide an
international government involvement at the level of principles over the
following naming, numbering and addressing-related matters:

     1. Provision for a global allocation system of IP number blocks,
        which is equitable and efficient;

     2. Procedures for changing the root zone file, specifically for the
        insertion of new top level domains in the root system and
        changes of ccTLD managers;

     3. Establishment of contingency plans to ensure the continuity of
        crucial DNS functions;

     4. Establishment of an arbitration and dispute resolution mechanism
        based on international law in case of disputes;

     5. Rules applicable to DNS system."

I think they envisage such list being agreed by countries in whatever
international agreement underlies the creation of the new governmental
council.

(By the way, the counter-proposal by Iran & friends to the EU took that
list and added a couple more items that sounded like "and anything else
regarding public policy", and specifically mentioned multilingualism and
IDNs, plus other things that I don't remember.)