[governance] preparations for prepcom 3 in tunis

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun Oct 16 08:43:16 EDT 2005

Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp) ha scritto:
(para 43)
> In Geneva the EU proposed deleting "especially at community
> level". (...)
> Think we might have more luck supporting the simplier EU
> suggestion.

AFAIK it's an agreed para, so there is no EU suggestion any more, nor it
is going to be reopened. It is true that "nothing is agreed until
everything is agreed" and, if there were a strong and reiterated request
by a government to reopen an agreed para, it might perhaps be accepted,
but I don't see this happening here. So if we want to make a public
declaration that we disagree with that wording, fine, but I don't think
we can expect any change.

By the way, it's language from WSIS-1, and the Chairman definitely
doesn't want to open a new can of worms when he can get away with it by
saying "it's previously agreed language". I think we lost (missed?) that
battle two years ago.

> The open paragraph is 61.  I don't know which govt supported or not.

I think it's because the Russian delegate in the room was unsure about
whether he had orders from Moscow not to accept the deletion of
references to some specific UN GA resolutions, or whether he was
authorized to do so. So he insisted he wanted the para to be reserved.

Again, I don't think there is room for any substantive change in that
part. Don't want to sound negative but... I'd rather focus on the parts
where actual points have still to be decided.