[governance] Need Help - History of Internet Governance

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Thu Oct 6 06:57:53 EDT 2005

Dear Paul,

Ok. I will do my best to find them but most of them are filed as public
record on DOC sites, or on the Internet. Initially we did exploratory work
under APNIC, but once we saw it handled more than just IP addresses, it was
conducted under APPLe and APIA, which involved many of the founders of APNIC
as well. It was kind of decided informally amongst these groups,  that
business issues fell under APIA, legal and policy under APPLe, research
under APNG, IP address management etc under APNIC, etc etc. Hence APNIC
began to be less involved until you took up this banner again recently.

As for APPLe and APIA- Once Izumi and Pindar continued this issue under
APIA, taking over from what I had started, I decided not to further it
within APPLe. Also, it was obvious from the fact that ICANN was NOT created
out of all those open consultaitons, and I felt we had wasted our time, I
decided that only those with the clout to lobby the US DOC had any impact.
So I pretty much advised others in my circles to lay off, unless they had
clear interests, clear resources to lobby DOC and attend all the ICANN
meetings in exotic places. The baton hence was carried forth by you, Pindar
and Izumi for Asia Pacific, who were better funded than APPLe. I understand
that APIA has also since lost interest in this issue as it does not have a
clear impact on many of their members and hence GLOCOM and others continue
this banner of being engaged and keeping others informed.

So yes, this was before your time.

FYI- I was one of the persons who helped create the formal org of APNIC from
just one person running it, and I remained on as policy advisor for the
first few years. APNIC supported the formation of APPLe (Asia Pacific Policy
andLegal Forum) after it had started under APNG back in Jan 1996 and still
runs its mailing list. Those activities and discussions on Internet
Governance are all archived within APNIC. Furthermore, I was sent by APNIC
to review matters as policy advisor of APNIC to see if it impacted APNIC
members. I visited Ira Magaziner back in July 1996 (I believe), helped
organise the first roundtable session on this issue during INET'96 with
major players from gov, Internet bodies and GLOCOM sponsored that
(transcript of that used to be on GLOCOM site, and also organised with APNIC
and APIA support having Ira Magaziner to the Asia Pacific region for a
regioanl consultation, which I helped organise during APRICOT'97. We did
manage to make some impact on the Green Paper which many of us felt were
reflected in the White Paper. The transcript of that meeting is public
documents on the Internet. There are many more others but I am not sure I
saved them all since most of these were either published or done verbally. I
will check if I have any to send on, but you could also do a google on it
too.

Hope this helps. And yes I will keep in touch.

Thanks for asking,
Laina