[governance] FW: Domain names battle threatens Net

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sat Oct 29 09:31:11 EDT 2005

Michael,

I think that you have done us a favor by posting this piece.

On the one hand, I am relieved to see that our current U.S.
administration does not have a monopoly on ignorance and
misunderstanding.

On the other hand, and far more important, this piece from what you
claim is the leading South African Business journal fills me with
apprehension.   This sounds like text from a bad science fiction
novel, or from the sermon of a charismatic religious bigot.  It
points to a misunderstanding of gigantic proportions of the current
situation, process, governance, and the way the world works.

If U.S. Government representatives were to read this, they would use
it as strong evidence that the U.S would be out of its mind to loosen
their control of the Internet by one bit.

The serious question is how do we deal with such feelings.  One can
understand the desire of the whole world to be a part of the Internet
community and to reap its benefits, but this kind of understanding is
not likely to help.  This type of misinformed jingoistic thinking
will only serve to deepen the gulf that artificially divides us today.

Regards,

George