[governance] oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Oct 28 05:05:25 EDT 2005

Il giorno gio, 27-10-2005 alle 15:29 -0400, wcurrie at apc.org ha scritto:
> What can be achieved at Tunis is:
>
> - an agreement on the internationalisation of ICANN along certain
> principles and timelines.
>
> - an agreement about the forum, its mandate and composition.
>
> What is not agreed (and is unlikely to be achieved) in Tunis is:
>
> - any kind of UN role in internet governance oversight;
>
> - any kind of inter-governmental oversight mechanism, such as the EU or
> Iran proposed (or apppeared to propose) at PrepCom-3.

I don't think you can agree on how to internationalize [the oversight
of] ICANN (as currently performed by the USG) without agreeing on the
inter-governmental oversight mechanism that should possibly perform it
(as the "no oversight" solution, which we all would prefer, is clearly
impossible in political terms).

This is why I would focus on getting a good agreement (for us!) on the
forum. That can be the key to move things forward and avoid a complete
failure.