[governance] ICANN/Verisign new agreement on roottransition -important

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Oct 27 23:53:34 EDT 2005

??? The triumverate arrangement could not possibly remain in its current
form if one party has withdrawn (Verisign) .So I can't see how this isn't on
the table.

> >I believe there is a strong chance that the authorisation function
> >could simply disappear along with the triumvirate agreement,
> in favour
> >of some more generalised expression of control via ICANN/USG MOU.
>
> No, that is not where things are headed. The reverse is true.
> MoU might go away, policy authority over the root will not.
> For better or worse.
> IGP is about the release a paper explaining some of these things.
> Look for it Monday.

I'll be interested to read it and whether the above is merely your
interpretation or is based on some clear policy statements of USG that make
root zone authorisation more important than oversight.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.