[governance] oversight

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Oct 26 12:51:10 EDT 2005

On 26 okt 2005, at 10.15, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Il giorno mar, 25-10-2005 alle 20:19 -0400, Avri Doria ha scritto:
>
>>> or is there a role for the IG caucus to appoint ten people as a
>>> citizen's
>>> commission to produce a *Green Paper* proposal for ICANN
>>> independence,
>>> hold virtial hearings on it and make a considered *White Paper*
>>> proposal
>>> to ICANN, UN and USG about it?
>>>

>> i like this idea.
>>

> Avri, are you proposing an Executive Group? ;-D

Clever question, but no, I am not.  I am agreeing to the idea of a
drafting group.  i have alwasy thought drafting groups werre a good
idea, and for that reason have suggested that in addition to a
secretariat, the Forum should have a small group of analysts who
create draft statements.

> I'm not necessarily against it, but I would prefer an open process in
> which everyone who wants to participate can join the online drafting
> list, and someone incorporates objections until consensus is reached -
> i.e. drafting in the IETF way, and in the way we've always been doing
> here. An EG-like structure might however be useful to sort out
> deadlocks
> or ensure things proceed, though I would frame that discussion as
> "what
> will happen of this caucus after Tunis?".

In terms of IETF process, if you look, you will find that almost no
document is written in the full WG.  Rather, an individual or a
design team go away and write the draft.  Only after this is pretty
solid, in most cases, is it turned over to the WG which decides on
whether to accept it as a WG draft.

I tend to agree with this approach, and this is how I read the
suggestion:
   (citizen's commission : drafting group; virtual hearing : wg group
discussions).

as is pretty obvious from discussions on the list and the progress we
make, it is rather difficult to write something as a caucus.  Even
the writing you do is thought through by an individual, and you
retain editing control of it until and unless it is accepted by the
caucus as its position.  In this case, i think it would be better for
a group to put together the draft, then for any individual to do so.

In this case, we have less the 3 weeks left to get something written
and vetted by the caucus.  I find the prospect of getting a coherent
document document done by Tunis by a the full group a daunting
prospect.  So, i thought this was a good siggestion on a way forward.

a.