[governance] oversight

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Oct 25 11:14:28 EDT 2005

Hi,

I don't for a second pretend that it doesn't exist.  In fact I
strongly object to the political oversight that exists.

What i contend is that the dichotomy between US or all nations for
oversight is the wrong issue.  I don't think there should be polical
oversight and I believe that the original intention of the MOU was to
eventually evolve to a point where therre would no longer be
political oversight.  And that is what I believe the goal should remain.

In other words, I believe Civil Society should not spend its energy
arguing for multilateral oversight, but rather should be arguing for
replacing oversight with an fully independent ICANN with appeals and
auditing mechanisms.  I do not understand why we would fight to go
from one wrong (US control) to another wrong (multilateral
international control or inter-governmental control).

To go one step further.  While I am against oversight of any sort, if
there were to be oversight, the only sort that would be acceptable
would be fully multistakeholder oversight.  And even if I believed in
external oversight, I would not believe that this could be achieved
at this point in time.

a.