[governance] Possible CS text on forum

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Oct 25 05:50:45 EDT 2005

karen banks ha scritto:
> hi
>
> can someone post a clean version of current text? here, a wiki, whatever..
>
> very difficult to see what text we're currently talking about

I'm very happy with Robert setting up a wiki if he likes - actually, we
have a lot more text to work out in the next few weeks.

Here is the initial version:
https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/governance/2005-October/004309.html

Here is the clean version (brackets to help mapping to WGIG text; added
last suggestions by Avri):

1. We recognize the lack of a global multi-stakeholder forum to address
Internet-related public policy issues. Thus we commit to the creation of
such a space for dialogue among all stakeholders (hereafter referred to
as “the forum”). [WGIG para 40]

2. Such forum should allow for the participation of all stakeholders
from developing and developed countries on an equal footing, and foster
full participation in Internet governance arrangements by developing
countries. Balance and diversity of participation as regards, inter
alia, geography, language, culture, gender, professional background,
should be ensured. [WGIG para 41-43]

3. Such forum should be open to all stakeholders from all countries; any
stakeholder could bring up any Internet governance issue. It could
assume, inter alia, the following functions:
•	Interface with intergovernmental bodies and other institutions on
matters under their purview which are relevant to Internet governance,
such as IPR, e-commerce, trade in services and
Internet/telecommunications convergence.
•	Identify emerging issues and bring them to the attention of the
appropriate bodies and make recommendations.
•	Address issues that are not being dealt with elsewhere and make
proposals for action, as appropriate.
•	Connect different bodies involved in Internet management where necessary.
•	Contribute to capacity-building for Internet governance for
developing countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and
expertise.
•	Promote and assess on an ongoing basis the embodiment of WSIS
principles in Internet governance processes.
It should start its work by also addressing the issues and
recommendations identified by the WGIG in its report. [WGIG para 45 +
final note on WGIG issues]

4. Such forum should operate through public consultations open to all
stakeholders, similar to the open consultations of the WGIG process, and
make extensive use of online instruments for remote participation. It
should be supported by a very lightweight Secretariat AND HAVE
TRANSPARENT, INCLUSIVE AND ACCOUNTABLE MULTI-STAKEHOLDER PROCEDURES TO
ADOPT ITS OUTCOMES. ANY EXECUTIVE OR STEERING GROUP SHOULD BE COMPOSED
BY MEMBERS FROM ALL STAKEHOLDERS, WHO would serve as peers in individual
capacity. THE NEW FORUM SHOULD BE DESIGNED TO WORK COOPERATIVELY WITH
EXISTING INSTITUTIONS and the best possible use should be made of
research and work carried out by others. [WGIG para 46 revised]

5. We ask to the Secretary General of the United Nations to appoint an
initial Secretariat TO HOLD PUBLIC MULTI-STAKEHOLDER CONSULTATIONS,
SIMILAR TO THE OPEN CONSULTATIONS OF THE WGIG PROCESS, TO DISCUSS AND
REACH CONSENSUS ABOUT THE STRUCTURE AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE FORUM,
so that the forum can be convened in 2006. [WGIG para 44 turned into
practice]