[governance] oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Oct 25 05:06:50 EDT 2005

Bertrand de La Chapelle ha scritto:
> 1) on ccTLDs, Avri is right : the question is not to establish an
> absolute sovereign RIGHT over a man-made ressource that they did not
> care about a few years ago. The challenge is to establish that
> governments have a major RESPONSIBILITY in ensuring that the ccTLD
> corresponding to their country is used and developed to the greatest
> benefit of their citizens AND  the rest of the international community.

I generally agree, but be warned that their usual reply to this argument
is "how can we keep up with this responsibility if we have no power?".
So you should also complement it with a mechanism through which they can
exert this role without being too invasive.

I might however have an objection on "the rest of the international
community": I know this is not what you meant, but in a global political
scenario of "international police" that might as well be implied to mean
that the UN should deprive a country of its ccTLD if the most powerful
countries add it to the "axis of evil". I think this is exactly the
concern that brings most governments to ask for a clear recognition of
"sovereignty" without global constraints.

> This is today, IMHO, the strongest argument against putting the wholde
> thing within a UN-type framework. We do not need UN-type absolute
> consesus procedures that only mean the ability for anyone to say no and
> block processes, but rough consensus-type of mechanisms among actors
> that are pursuing a common goal.

Is this a point that we should make about the forum?