[governance] oversight

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Oct 23 18:01:31 EDT 2005

On 20 okt 2005, at 16.40, Danny Butt wrote:

> I also agree with Milton's reservations about the "independent
> appeals process" - and this could be an area that intergovernmental
> oversight is important -

i don't understand this.

i think the appeals process needs to be external and multistakeholder.
why should it involve inter-governemental oversight?  though it could
contain inter-governemental participation.

> I don't have the expertise to draft anything
> about that though. I'm not sure if this is exactly what Milton is
> saying, but my POV is that the GAC is basically attempting to be an
> intergovernmental mechanism without the representativeness or
> resource support that proper intergovernmental organisations have to
> ensure e.g. developing country participation. So it's really a worst
> of both worlds.

I believe that while it is appropriate for GAC to move from an
advisory role to a participatory role as one of the ICANN
constituencies (which need badly need review and possibly
reorganization).  Is that enough representativeness or do people
within CS think they should somehow be more equal then the others in
ICANN.  Ie. do people want to give GAC oversight within ICANN?  and
if so, why?

Additionally, there has been an implicit acceptance of the notion
that ccTLDs are a national and sovereign issue.  I for one have not
accepted this.  That is like saying that any product that one invents
that uses the national name, or its abbreviation is, by virtue of its
name, now a sovereign resource.  I personally wonder why so many in
CS accept this without any argument.  It is one of the premises that
once accepted make calls for government oversight, of at least their
countries cccTLD, plausible if still not acceptable.  I just don't
see any reason why it should be accepted.  ccTLDs were not created
for that purpose and the fact that it took decades for nations to
begin making a grab at this common's resource does not lend
credibility to their claim.

a.