[governance] Sense of the Senate Resolution

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Fri Oct 21 12:20:23 EDT 2005

Draft resolutions are just that, even if passed they don;t have the force of law. They just send a message.

So you got the message.

But this does not change anything as per NTIA's statement from last summer being the operant text of the relevant agency.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> 10/21/2005 10:42 AM >>>
Adam asks: Should we take it that the US has now definitely walked away
from its commitment to free ICANN from oversight if conditions of the
MoU were met?

c.a. replies: I guess we should have understood this fact since
Gallagher made its statement months ago... Now it is just more official...

--c.a.

Adam Peake wrote:

>The conclusions of the house resolution are poor
><http://www.lextext.com/HR268.htm>.
>
>"Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring),
>That it is the sense of Congress that--
>
>(1) it is incumbent upon the United States and other responsible
>governments to send clear signals to the marketplace that the current
>structure of oversight and management of the Internet's domain name
>and addressing service works, and will continue to deliver tangible
>benefits to Internet users worldwide in the future; and
>
>(2) therefore the authoritative root zone server should remain
>physically located in the United States and the Secretary of Commerce
>should maintain oversight of ICANN so that ICANN can continue to
>manage the day-to-day operation of the Internet's domain name and
>addressing system well, remain responsive to all Internet
>stakeholders worldwide, and otherwise fulfill its core technical
>mission."
>
>Should we take it that the US has now definitely walked away from its
>commitment to free ICANN from oversight if conditions of the MoU were
>met?
>
>Who decides, NTIA or the House of Representatives with the Senate concurring?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br