[governance] Sense of the Senate Resolution

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri Oct 21 10:42:05 EDT 2005

Adam asks: Should we take it that the US has now definitely walked away
from its commitment to free ICANN from oversight if conditions of the
MoU were met?

c.a. replies: I guess we should have understood this fact since
Gallagher made its statement months ago... Now it is just more official...

--c.a.

Adam Peake wrote:

>The conclusions of the house resolution are poor
><http://www.lextext.com/HR268.htm>.
>
>"Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring),
>That it is the sense of Congress that--
>
>(1) it is incumbent upon the United States and other responsible
>governments to send clear signals to the marketplace that the current
>structure of oversight and management of the Internet's domain name
>and addressing service works, and will continue to deliver tangible
>benefits to Internet users worldwide in the future; and
>
>(2) therefore the authoritative root zone server should remain
>physically located in the United States and the Secretary of Commerce
>should maintain oversight of ICANN so that ICANN can continue to
>manage the day-to-day operation of the Internet's domain name and
>addressing system well, remain responsive to all Internet
>stakeholders worldwide, and otherwise fulfill its core technical
>mission."
>
>Should we take it that the US has now definitely walked away from its
>commitment to free ICANN from oversight if conditions of the MoU were
>met?
>
>Who decides, NTIA or the House of Representatives with the Senate concurring?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br