[governance] Possible CS text on forum

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Thu Oct 20 22:10:50 EDT 2005

First, thanks Vittorio for taking the good lead for the "Forum" part of our text.

I also think CS should push this Forum idea into practice, as one of the
first multi-stakeholder experiment, perhaps, on this level.

I see some need for some mechanism that sets up and operates this forum.
We cannot just rely on UN SG to select members and then they will fly.
At the same time, as Jeanette pointed out, top-down selected "executive
group" without defining its roles and compositions may lead into some danger.

It may be more helpful to think it as a process, similar to WGIG's formation:

First, a "light" secretariat will start to coordinate, making open consultation
rounds for a while, say 3 or 4 months, propose draft charter or blue-print
of the mission, working methods and composition of this Forum, including
financial
and other logistics.

Second, another round of open consultation about this draft plan, listen and
then make final recommendation to UN SG (or any alternative). Another 3 or
4 months, at least, perhaps.

Then according to the consensus made through this consultation process,
the Forum will start its work.

Something like that. IN other words, until it starts, no one group
owns it, the process is open and the secretariat makes sure it is open,
and they do not make decisions by themselves.

It is a kind of "self-organizing" process. Am I optimistic? I tried to be
pragmatic.

izumi