[governance] Sense of the Senate Resolution

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Oct 20 17:12:58 EDT 2005

Robert wrote:

> - So how does this WG wish to respond. Does it wish to accept
> the reality that the USG position is firmer and accept it,
> try to mediate, or ignore and go on pushing for
> internalization. Can the forum save things...?

All of the above (sort of...) We have to accept the reality of the US
position, we have to look for the ways forward and inclusion of the
transition path or statement of direction that acknowledges that things
should shift from there, and we have to push for greater international
involvement.

It looks as if we may have to rely on the forum as a mechanism to move
things forward. WSIS has refined the debate on governance somewhat but is
unlikely to resolve it. This what the bit of the Chair's paper I liked -
resolve the governance issue at the end of a transition period, not now.
Despite reservations about the details of the model proposed by the Chair, I
think we should support the part of his proposal that suggests resolving
governance at the end of a transition period. That might gain general
acceptance (even from USG) if well worded. I appreciate Vittorio's comments
that this shifts the emphasis of the forum from a range of issues to a
narrow focus on governance, but that doesn't have to be the case.

My only other suggestion is an expert group -not Internet experts, but
governance experts who could consult with stakeholders and recommend a
structure after consultation with stakeholders.

There's no point in getting angry about the US position - we may not like
it, but it was predictable. There are bound to be some reactions after WSIS
but for now the concentration of CS probably has to be on inclusion of the
best possible transition paths and indications of future direction.

Ian