[governance] Uni.X to Uni.X .NETworking - 0101 and 0100

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 19:14:04 EDT 2005

On 10/18/05, Peter Dambier <peter at echnaton.serveftp.com> wrote:

> I even wanted to ask Jim wether I can buy it as a book or download in one
> piece.

lol

> Jims ideas are at least interesting. It looks they are technically feasibly.
> I wonder why I never heard this before.
>
> Did you realise that we are growing out of ip address space?

We are not.

> Did you realise that somebody tries to convince us to jump to IPv6 not
> telling us that IPv6 will break as soon as everybody is using it because
> they forgot to build routing protocols?

IPv6 uses BGP just like IPv4.

It's the multihoming that hasn't been sorted out in v6 yet.

We may need new routing protocols soonish  if aggregation is broken.
See the links I sent earlier this evening on new IPv6 proposals .

Eventually, of course we will need a new version of BGP (or another
routing protocol), software needs upgrading, this is normal.

> Have a look at NANOG!
>
> By the way, did you realise that china is already deploying IPv9?

If you read NANOG carefully, you'd realise that is not at all true.
IIRC, IPv9 was explained on NANOG last summer.

Here is another link that explains it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/06/ipv9_hype_dismissed/

--
Cheers,