[governance] oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Oct 17 17:59:20 EDT 2005

McTim ha scritto:
> Do you honestly think ICANN would go for this?
>
> I believe this is a non-starter.  I think talking about this would be
> a waste of cycles.
>
> (...)
>
> This is probably not something the US would agree to either.  I might
> be wrong, but in the current polarised environment, I don't think so.
>
> (...)
>
> and we'd be wasting our time IMO.

On the other hand, if we start from the assumption that no change
whatsoever would ever be accepted by the US, then we can all go home :-)
So I would rather try to figure out some minimally invasive changes that
can satisfy some requests from the rest of the world and still not be
too shocking for the US.

For example, when talking to the present ICANN management, I did not
have the impression that they were prejudicially opposite to moving the
legal seat of the corporation or changing its legal form. What the US
thinks might be different, but still it is to be understood what will
happen if, in Tunis, the US will be totally isolated (with the exception
of Canada, Australia and New Zealand, of course) - which is what many
countries now seem to aim at.