[governance] host country agreement + "geostrategic innocence"

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Mon Oct 17 08:32:39 EDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, McTim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/17/05, Jovan Kurbalija <jovank at diplomacy.edu> wrote:
> > Here are a few comments on the latest discussion....
>
> > ICANN could have immunity (ICANN as an entity as well as directors of its
> > Board) in performing its core functions, e.g. running the root servers - a
>
> ICANN doesn't "run" the rootservers, (although I think they would like
> to have a greater degree of control over the root operators).

Thats almost right.  In fact ICANN DOES RUN one root servers, thats the
L root server in Los Angeles, and the US Government is in charge of
E, G, and H root servers operated respectively by the NASA Ames Research
Center in Mountain View California, the U.S. DOD Network Information
Center in Vienna Virgnia, and the U.S. Army Research Lab in Aberdeen
Maryland.

A and J roots are operated by VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.
They have a number of their servers anycast in places like Dulles VA (5
roots), Mountain View CA, Seattle WA, Atlanta GA, Los Angeles CA, Miami
FL, Sunnyvale CA, Amsterdam, Stockholm, London, Tokyo, Seoul and
Singapore.

So we can say that the U.S. of A. controls either directly or indirectly
six of the root servers with J root having instances in 13 locations of
which six are in foreign countries - i.e. outside the U.S.

The remainder of the root server operators have no contracts with anyone
and are completely independent operators.

Have a look at the current status of root operations:

http://www.root-servers.org/

So we can say 7 of the root operators are open for business.

> Does anyone really believe ICANN will change their location
> of incorporation based on WSIS outcomes?

I beleive there is no need.  ICANN's days are numbered.

cheers
joe baptista

Joe Baptista, Official Public-Root Representative and Lobbyist to the
United States Congress and Senate / Tel: +1 (202) 517-1593

Public-Root Disclosure Documents: http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/