[governance] The frustrating situation with the GNSO

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Dec 22 07:10:42 EST 2005

Caríssimo Raúl,

I think the best way to answer your doubt is precisely by exposing the
issue to the list, as Danny did -- we deal which such broad and complex
issues that it would be impossible to establish beforehand which ones
could be brought to the list and which ones should not.

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

Raul Echeberria wrote:

>Danny:
>
>I very much respect your concerns regarding the GNSO PDP, but I am not
>sure if this list is the right place to have this discussion about such
>specific issue of a specific part of the structure of a specific
>organization related with Internet Governance.
>
>When I say that I am not sure, I am just saying that, I am not sure.
>Probably some others could help us to clarifiy what kind of issues
>should be discussed in this list and what not.
>
>Raúl
>

>Danny Younger escribió:
>

>>I would like to discuss what Wolfgang has called "the
>>frustrating situation with the GNSO".
>>
>>On Friday 2 December 2005, the GNSO Council voted to
>>implement a Policy Development Process on New TLDS.
>>This vote started the clock ticking.  Per the bylaws,
>>the GNSO Policy Development Process requires that all
>>Constituency Statements
>>be submitted to the Staff Manager within thirty-five
>>calendar days after initiation of the PDP.
>>
>>We are now three weeks into the process with these
>>Statements due in another two weeks.  The issues
>>involved are rather complex and require a tremendous
>>amount of discussion and analysis in order to arrive
>>at substantive policy recommendations.
>>
>>Yet as I review the available publicly archived
>>constituency discussion lists, I cannot point to one
>>single constituency that has even started to talk
>>about the issues raised by this PDP.
>>
>>If no substantive work is being done at the ICANN
>>constituency level on policy matters, then we have a
>>real problem facing us that needs to be addressed.
>>
>>As many of you know, the General Assembly is no longer
>>part of the GNSO structure (it was eliminated by the
>>Board during their earlier "Reform") -- yet what
>>remains of the GA discussion list is the only place
>>within ICANN where thoroughgoing discussion of this
>>PDP is happening.  Since 5 December there have been in
>>excess of 250 postings on the topic of the PDP.  The
>>issues are important to the few of us that remain on
>>this list and rightfully deserve a full airing.
>>
>>We are doing this work, even though we have no voting
>>rights within the GNSO, in part because of the failure
>>of the GNSO constituencies to get down to business.
>>We understand the nature of the GNSO problems, one of
>>which is "likemindedness" at the constituency level --
>>if everyone in a group is predisposed to a certain
>>viewpoint then little debate ever emerges at the
>>constituency level and rarely does deep discussion on
>>a topic materialize.  This is a flaw in the system
>>that had previously been attended to by the existence
>>of a cross-constituency platform (the GA) which
>>facilitated lively and volatile debate.
>>
>>With the GA no longer functioning as a recognized
>>institution, we now readily see the consequences of
>>the Board's decision to eliminate this platform -- the
>>GNSO itself has become a moribund institution.
>>
>>If the Constituencies do manage to produce a Statement
> [...]

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br