[governance] ICANN - Request for Proposals for IndependentEvaluator for GNSO Review

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Wed Dec 21 12:02:52 EST 2005

Hallo Wolfgang,

I agree wholeheartedly. In my view, ALAC should stick to regional
representation but give up the idea of regional divisions. ALAC should
also abandon organizational membership and rely on individual members.
Accredited individual members should have the right to elect board
members when they pass a certain threashold. How old are these ideas
exactly? :-)
jeanette

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
> Michael I agree, the glass is (probably) not even half-full. What I said was that I noticed "some moves in the right direction" (in your calculation from 20 per cent to 40 per cent). So the move is small but again, it is in the right direction. Much more has to be delivered to reach 60 poer cent or 80 per cent.
>
> Jeanette questioned  that the Board takes the ALAC more seriously. It is correct, that the proposed and adopted changes of bylaws in Vancouver has been "a very small step". But in Mar del Plata even ALAC members rejected any discussion about changes of bylaws. Now a process of change has started. That is why I proposed that the ALAC should now prepare for Wellington a much more comprehensive reform, probably eliminating ALS. The reality has proved that the proposed mechanism does not work. The "New Bylaws" has been adopted on December, 15, 2002. The original plan was to substitute the Interim ALAC members by RALO elected members within one year. Now we have a situatuiion as we had with the "Boardsquatters" after ICANN´s Ykohoama meeting in July 2000. I remember the discussion around Hans Krajenbrink and Esther Dyson and there has been even Buttons in Marina del Rey in December 2000. The fact that nobody discusses this seriously shows also that the community does take this
not seriously. It is obviously unimportant. Now three years have gone without any single RALO and nobody makes noise, not the ICANN Baord, not the ALAC, not other ICANN constituencies and no individual members. On the other hand, this should be proof enough for the fact, that the mechanism does not work and that the time is more than ripe to eliminate the concept by a change of the Bylaws. But the proposal should come from the "buttom" and not from the "top", that is from the Board. But as long as the ALAC doesn´t do anything, nothing will happen. Roberto announced in Mar del Plata (March 2005) , that they will undertake a last effort until the end of 2005. "Give as nine moths more" was his reply. Now we have nearly January 2006 and three months more until Wellington. ....