[governance] The frustrating situation with the GNSO

Bret Fausett fausett at lextext.com
Wed Dec 21 11:26:27 EST 2005

I don't want to be seen as defending a policy development system that
certainly could be improved, but let me point out a couple of things
relevant to Danny's point below. Apologies to all if this is off-topic
for the "governance" list.

First and foremost, a public comment period is now underway that will
allow Internet users to get their input in early *before* the Council
begins its work. Please post your comments and make a record now. These
comments will become the starting point for the Council's work.

    http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-06dec05.htm

You can see my post about the purpose of this early comment period here:

Second, the "Committee of the Whole" is not an ad hoc process adopted
specifically for new TLDs. It's described in the ICANN Bylaws. See
Sections 4 and 8 here:

    http://icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-08apr05.htm#AnnexA

The 'Committee of the Whole' will be looking at the comments it will
solicit from the GNSO Constituencies and the comments from the Public
list. *Please* post your comments (new-gtlds-pdp-comments at icann.org).

         -- Bret