[governance] Civil Society Statement 2005 - DRAFT Version 4.1 -tracked

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 14 10:55:17 EST 2005

McTim wrote:
> Are we talking about these two from 4.1:
I hope everybody is talking about version 4.1...

(...)

> Deleting either works for me ;-)
The following applies to the whole caucus debate, not only to McTim:

Come on, please. We have to accept that other caucuses and groups may have
different priorities, perspectives and needs with regards to Internet
governance. Try to sincerely understand them, and only propose deletion or
rejection if you seriously can't live with their proposals.
If you think "this is factually wrong", suggest amended language.
If you only think "these amateurs..." you need to be less arrogant.
If you think "This is politically bad, and I can't subscribe to it at
all", then say it.
If you just think "it does not make sense to me or is not necessary, but
does not contradict with my principles and beliefs", then try to accept it.
Other caucuses have been very patient and receptive to changes to their
chapters...

To say it in another way: If every caucus treats the respective chapter of
the statement as its "own" and does not allow any changes from others, we
could hve done this much easier and faster. In that case Karen and myself
would not have had to waste our time facilitating - we just had needed
staples instead.

Thanks, Ralf