[governance] Civil Society Statement 2005 - DRAFT Version 4.1 - tracked

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Wed Dec 14 08:27:25 EST 2005

Hi all. Thank you Ralf for your hard work, and sorry for my absense. I
had a bad cold.

The last para of the Internet Governance section has changed
significantly since the last version.

Please have a look at the new version 4.1:

To ensure that development of the Internet and its governance take place
in the public interest, it is important for all stakeholders to
understand better how core Internet governance functions – like DNS
management, IP address allocation, etc. – are carried out. It is equally
important that these same actors understand the linkages between broader
Internet governance issues like cyber-crime, Intellectual Property
Rights, e-commerce, e-government, human rights and capacity building and
economic development. The responsibility of creating such awareness
should be shared by everyone, including those at present involved in the
governance and development of the Internet and emerging information and
communication platforms. Equally it is essential that as this awareness
develops in newer users of the Internet, older users must be open to the
new perspectives that will emerge. Development of awareness needs to be
multi-directional to be human centred and aimed at global peace.

For comparison, the last para of the IG section from version 3.1:

To ensure that Internet governance and development take place in the
public interest, it is necessary for people who use the Internet
understand how the DNS is functioning, how IP addresses are allocated,
what basic legal instruments exist in fields like cyber-crime,
Intellectual Property Rights, eCommerce, e-government, and human rights
and promoting development. The responsibility of creating such awareness
should be shared by everyone, including those at present involved in the
governance and development of the Internet and emerging information and
communication platforms.

This para has been somewhat controversial before. I think the new
version hasn't made things any better. My suggestion would be to delete
the last two sentences. What do others think?

jeanette