[governance] Striking the right balance between private and public interests on the Internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 05:36:45 EST 2005

On 12/7/05, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wz-berlin.de> wrote:

> >>CEOs want new markets, fine, but it is not up to a process
> >>like the WSIS (which is supposed to take into account the public
> >>interest)
>
> New marktets and public interest are not mutually exclusive, are they?
> one gateway and only one gateway.
> >
> > The research I have done lately suggests there is more grant money
> > available to support regulatory conferences/education/reform than
> > there is to bring more bandwidth to the developing world.
>
> Sounds interesting, McTim. Could you perhaps reveal more details about
> your research?

I use Google to find things mostly.  I'm not being glib, try it
yourself, after a few weeks, you'll find loads of development funding
to talk about interconnection issues/regulatroy reform, but very
little to actually pay for the kit/expertise need to do
self-provisioning of bandwidth for LDCs.

Very discouraging actually.

--
Cheers,

McTim