[governance] "Global Public Interest" rather than "Global Public Good"

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 09:35:00 EST 2005

Dear all,

as already mentionned by some, what we are talking about is not so much
whether the internet is a "Public Good" or not. What I believe we want to
affirm is that access to the Internet and the broadest dissemination of and
access to knowledge is in the "*Global Public Interest*".

National governments are in charge of defining and implementing "National
Public Interest". I would argue that the challenges we are facing with
Internet Governance is defining and enforcing regimes that promote the
global public interest, particularly when it runs contrary to some national
legitimate national public interests. This is why Internet Governance is a
part of Global Governance.

As I mentionned in a public statement during the open WGIG consultations :
even all governments assembled cannot alone define the global public
interest. The purpose of the Forum and the very foundation for its
multi-stakeholder format is to help identify Global Public Interests related
to the Internet and its use.

Best

Bertrand