[governance] Finalizing the IG Section of the CS Statement onTunis

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 12:06:00 EST 2005

On 12/4/05, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:

> McTim you are right about the word Jurisdiction.  that seems to indicate
> that these ccTLDs are under the control of their national laws.

or at least subject to some national authority perhaps.

Perhaps it would be better to change 'under their Jurisdiction' to ''that
> refer to their country'

I can live with that!

A shy, lurking wordsmith has suggested this to me in a private email for
para 6 of Bill's draft:

"To ensure that development of the Internet and its governance takes place
in the public interest, it is important for CS groups and other actors
interested in policy and advocacy to understand better how core IG functions
– like DNS management, IP address allocation, etc. – are carried out.    It
is equally important that these same groups and actors understand the
linkages between broader IG issues like cyber-crime, Intellectual Property
Rights, eCommerce, e-government, human rights and capacity building and
economic development. The responsibility of creating such awareness should
be shared by everyone, including those at present involved in the governance
and development of the Internet."

One more nit; why do we specifically mention the research community?  Now,
don't get me wrong, I *like* the research community, but if we metion them,
then doesn't it open the door for everybody else to get a special mention?

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim