[governance] Finalizing the IG Section of the CS Statement onTunis

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Dec 4 22:15:27 EST 2005

On the ccTLD para, the formulation as proposed by Tim looks fine.

"To ensure that development of the Internet and its governance takes place

in the public interest, it is important for CS groups and other actors
interested in policy and advocacy to understand better how core IG functions
- like DNS management, IP address allocation, etc. - are carried out.    It
is equally important that these same groups and actors understand the
linkages between broader IG issues like cyber-crime, Intellectual Property
Rights, eCommerce, e-government, human rights and capacity building and
economic development. The responsibility of creating such awareness should
be shared by everyone, including those at present involved in the governance
and development of the Internet."

The important difference of view on this para was whether or not to
state/stress the linkage between the core IG functions and broader IG issues
- and this linkage is kind of suppressed here - so it should be acceptable
to all.

I think it is important that this para goes in the IG part and is not
shifted.

The para roughly corresponds to some important elements of the 'capacity
building' point - that was in some controversy during prpecom 3. This point
is important, and the implication is not that the CS involved in the WSIS
doesn't understand the issues well, but that a broader CS and other policy
stakeholder constituency - and there in no doubt that there are gaps in this
regard - should understand and involves itself more with IG - for the stated
purpose that .' to ensure that the development..."

This para tries to open up the stakeholder base of IG - and call for greater
participation etc - and on all these counts is very important.

We shifted from the accent on Internet users understanding the IG issues to
social and policy actor/stakeholders understanding the issues for reasons
already discussed here a few times. But it doesnot take anything away from
the original purpose of the drafter - any person who think she should be
involved to whatever extent in IG issues, becomes a stakeholder who is
address by this para, without making it like some necessary education every
single person must have.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change