[governance] New version of WSIS CS statement: Two IG issues

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Thu Dec 1 11:18:01 EST 2005

At 16:29 05/12/01 +0100, Wolfgang Kleinw臘hter wrote:
>Sorry for being late.
>
>I have not much to add to the disussion. Thanks to everybody who has
>made the text clear and forward looking.
>
>With regard to the proposed WG, I would let it open to everybody.
>And do not be afraid that other will create other WGs. Our strengths
>is not that we create the one and only WG, but we havwe to come with
>strong and substantial proposals and arguments. If we compete with
>other proposals, this is fine. This challenfges us to have the better proposals.

I 100% agree with what Wolfgang wrote above. Diversity is our sterngth
and limiting into one WG may not be the best approach. And the scope
and issues the new IGF will deal with will be also very wide and diverse
I assume, at least in the formation process.

>  With regard to the mandate, it should include both "modalities"
> and "substance". And if we come to substance, we should take into
> consideration, that there has to be also a linkage between the two
> processes which will be started by UN Secretary General. The Forum
> probably will remain a "talking shop" but the process towards
> "enhanced cooperation" will deal with the 'hard issues". And the WG
> should look into both processes.

I also agree with this approach, while the new process for "enhanced cooperation"
is still unclear, and there the governments will likely to try to
limit non-governmental
actors from the main stream, we should perhaps remind this process also should
be free multi-stakeholder. A free space of Forum is far less
harmfull for governments.

I do not have a clear text for this to add to our declaration, but
at least we should be aware of these issues IMHO.

izumi