[governance] new TLDs?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 05:21:11 EDT 2005

Hi Stephane,

On 8/30/05, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 08:55:01PM +0300,
>  McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 68 lines which said:
>
> > And also adding to the size of the rootzonefile.  which might be
> > very very bad!
>
> Good Lord, the root is an EXTREMELY small zone file. Any african ccTLD
> has more domains than the root.

absolutely true, but not my point.

> > Bringing DNSSEC signatures into the mix increases this zonefile size
> > by a factor of 4 to 13.
>
> A very small thing multiplied by 4 to 13 is still very small.

In absolute terms, yes, in relative terms it is much larger than it is now.

> > Now, admittedly these are back of a cocktail calculations, but that
> > is a whopping big zonefile, no?
>
> No (and I manage name servers for TLD, daily)

ACK, and as a zonefile admin, would you be pleased if (due to
political reason) your zonefile increased by 100 times AND rendered
the TLD worthless to boot?

What performace degradation would you see if the .fr zone file
increased by 100 times?

A zonefile transfer from a .fr NS takes a very long time (I aborted my
attempt after a few minutes, and was still at the beginning of the
alphabet.).  Would your secondary have any problems pulling a file
that was 100 times bigger?

--
Cheers,

McTim