[governance] new TLDs?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:24:48 EDT 2005

Mitown,

On 8/29/05, Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> McTim:
>
> The National Academy of Sciences study pretty much settled the debate
> over whether the root zone can handle new TLDs.
> http://www7.nationalacademies.org/cstb/pub_dns_summary.pdf

No, they haven't as this thread demonstrates.  You are demonstratively
wrong.  (note use of logic to support my priority).

yeah, I read it long time ago, and not a word about DNSSEC acting as a
multiplier of zonefile size.

The report says: "The 13 root name servers respond to about 8 billion
requests each day for TLD addresses."  Do they have any empirical data
about what multiplying the size of the file by 100x would do? They
would increase the size of the file by 10 TLDs per year.   There would
still be 8 Billion requests, but the file size woould grow by 100
times, get it? This means more traffic across the network and a
marginal (for some value of marginal) increase in DNS lookups.

It
> concluded that periodic (say annual) addition of less than 100 per year
> would create no risk worth worrying about. Others believe that the rate
> could be much faster but the consensus position was the extremely
> conservative one. Paul Vixie is on record as saying that you could have
> a million.

He is right, you COULD have a million, I just wouldn't want to.

Your fears about the size of the root zone file are pretty
> far off base. Currently, the zone file is a text file of about 120k.

Once again, you are wrong, as one look at
ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/ would demonstrate. it's 17Kb:

File: root.zone.gz  17 KB  	8/29/2005  12:55:00 AM

Look before you type this is fact-checking 101.

> Also, when Hans refers to "worthless" TLDs he means,

I knew exactly what he meant. Why do you assume otherwise? I just
don't think rendering TLDs as "worthless" is demonstrably a good idea.

<undelivered rant snipped>

--
Cheers,

McTim