[governance] new TLDs?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:55:01 EDT 2005

Hi Hans,

On 8/29/05, Hans Klein <hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> wrote:

> So adding lots of TLDs seems to be a good thing.

for those who want "worthless" TLDs.

> True, someone may snatch up the word "book", leaving you with no
> alternative but to use a word like "amazon" to refer to books.
>
> But if we can render the DNS uninteresting, without value, and not a point
> of control, then the problems we are trying to *solve* would mostly just
> *disappear*.
>
> Adding large numbers of TLDs seems to contribute to that goal.

And also adding to the size of the rootzonefile.  which might be very very bad!

Say for sake of argument, that there are 1000 new additions to the
rootzone, there won't be, but some want more. I just picked a round
number.

There are 2300 lines (roughly corresponding to entries) in the current
zone file. This file (Gzipped) is 17KB. Unzipped it's ~64 KB

Each TLD has between 3 and 10 NS lines. Each NS line has a glue
record, so lets's say 10 lines per tld. This is a conservative
guesstimate.

1000 new tlds
  x10
------
10000 more lines.  Zonefile has just increased to ~375KB.

Bringing DNSSEC signatures into the mix increases this zonefile size
by a factor of 4 to 13.  Let's say 5 (cuz non-authoritative glue isn't
signed (IIRC).

375
x  5
-----
=
1875 KB

Now, admittedly these are back of a cocktail calculations, but that is
a whopping big zonefile, no?  Of course, crunching it with gzip again
will reduce that size somewhat, but not a great deal.

Do we really want to multiply the size of the zonefile that much when
we HAVE to increase it once for (DNSSEC) security reasons?

Not me, I'll go with a slow incremental approach to adding TLDs until
the effect can be measured in a production environment with DNSSEC
running.

--
Cheers,

McTim