[governance] From the Christian Coalition "action alert", 8-20-05

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Fri Aug 26 04:15:10 EDT 2005

Milton,

Private responses suggest otherwise.  I suspect people simply don't feel
motivated to prolonge a thread here, so we can let it drop.  One last
comment, though.  It's not because I'm an expat; precisely the opposite.
Eight years in Washington, including working at a foreign policy think
tank, gave me a lot of clos exposure to how the US far right works.
They're like Chinese foreign policy---long-term in outlook, methodical in
build-up.  It's just a question of figuring out which seemingly innocuous
statements are actually the opening salvos of a wider effort to come.  In
1999, I had the distinctly eerie experience of having lunch with a leading
neocon thinker who told me that when the Republicans get back into the
White House, "first we'll do Iraq, then we'll do Iran, then we'll do North
Korea."  I mistakenly thought he was indulging a mid-day fantasy.  My
antenna's a bit more sensitive now (the subsequent evaporation of steps 2
and 3 notwithstanding).

Best,

Bill