[governance] From the Christian Coalition "action alert", 8-20-05

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Wed Aug 24 11:31:48 EDT 2005

Hi Milton,

First we had the "UN wants to take over the Internet" meme, now this.  So
ICANN is a "liberal" organization.  Who knew?  Suddenly, it all makes
sense...ICANN is based in Marina del Rey, near the people's republic of
Santa Monica, and Los Angeles, a liberal Democratic stronghold and home to
godless Hollywood.  Also near to Venice Beach, a heaving vortex of sun-fed
immorality; untold possibilities for ICANN staff to be corrupted during
lunchtime strolls.  Further, ICANN has foreigners on its board, who of
course cannot be counted on to Defend American Freedom, and undoubtedly
want the children to be exposed to porn, hence the .xxx decision.  And to
top it off, its leadership talks a lot about something called
"internationalization," which sounds a bit like the One World Government
favored by the UN.

I would not be at all surprised if, having gotten a taste with the highly
useful .xxx controversy, America's christian right starts poking around in
other bits of Internet governance in search of high yield targets.  The IG
debate, and WSIS more generally, present all kinds of possibilities to
alarm and mobilize the troops, raise money, influence Congressional
staffers, get friendly Washington "think tanks" busy churning out position
papers, etc.  It might take some doing to sort out a semi-coherent
position---hate the UN and intergovernmentalism, but hate ICANN and "self
regulation" too---but that's not really necessary.  Who knows, maybe
they'll organize a campaign to get some people onto the ICANN board, like
the recent events praying for Supreme Court "vacancies" (aka the, um, exit
of moderates with lifetime appointments).   Hope that the Washington Times
or whomever doesn't discover the IG caucus, wild eyed conspiracy that we
are.

Stay tuned,

Bill