[governance] WGIG Report - governmental comments ...?

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Mon Aug 22 11:48:26 EDT 2005

I spent part of the weekend reading through the numerous written
contributions that have been sent in response to the WGIG report.

We've heard over the past few days comments related to the US
position. it's an important actor, that's for sure. But there are
others too... Specifically, are there any comments by those on the
list on the points raised by Rwanda, Israel, Egypt and of course -
Canada ?

Though i'm only 3/4 of  the way through the texts, three things
strike me.

1. Only a  small # of the contributions are by governments. No doubt
there will be more at the Prepcom itself.

2. Certain governments,  are quite instant that the Prepcom  not lose
it's focus;  that it keep on the   specific mandate and agenda given
to it by the first phase, as well as the UN general assembly 56/183
(url below). Though there are many issues that could be discussed,
the mandate from the general assembly  (GA) is specific -  WSIS
should be about "promoting and foster the potential of ICTs for
development."

<http://daccess-ods.un.org/access.nsf/Get?Open&DS=A/RES/56/183&Lang=E>

3. The IG contribution stands up well. Content is nice, as is the
format that it's presented (will make it easier for those on
Subcommittee A )

As for next steps, there seem to be

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>