[governance] Second Draft of Statement on USCommerceDepartment/GACchairintervention

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 22 10:35:20 EDT 2005

>>> Wolfgang Kleinwächter <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> 08/22/05 4:59 AM >>>
>But we have to be very precise. The WGIG criticism against
>"unilateral control" is pointed to the "authorization function"
>for the publication of zone files in the root.

You are correct, but this is a mistake on the part of the WGIG Report. USG has enormous power over ICANN by virtue of its status as contracting authority. If it contracted with someone else ICANN would much or all its power. That contracting relationship is in many respects more important than the modification of the root zone overview. It ensures that the US needn't intervene to modify the root zone. It can get the results it wants before it comes to that.

>I think it makes sense
>a. to write a letter to DOC (on behalf of US CS groups) and
>b.to draft a comment for ICANNs gTLD Public Discussion Forum
>(dateline is October, 15, 2005),
>(on behalf of the CS IG Caucus)

Good suggestions, Wolfgang. We are already working on a).